Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

How often should I bath my dachshund Should I bath her once

How often should I bath my dachshund? Should I bath her once a month, before I reapply her flea med?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the question Barbara.

I have been asked this question so often by clients at my clinic ...

In direct answer to your question : You can wash your Dachshund as often as you like, in fact there is no reason why you should not wash your dog every day if you want to, just make sure you dry her properly afterwards. We basically wash dogs so that they do not smell in the house and so make good house pets. So if your dog smells just fine with washing once a month then that will be OK for you. As far as the flea treatment goes just do not wash her for three or four days after applying the treatment.

There are various urban myths about washing dogs too frequently being somehow bad for them, as with all urban myths there is a grain of truth in it. The grain of truth here relates to working dogs who if they were washed frequently would lose the oil on their coats and thus lose the waterproofing properties of their coats.

If I have not answered your question fully enough or if you would like to ask more I will be on line for the next hour or so and I will be pleased to discuss your question further.

Scott Nimmo BVMS