Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.
10315041

my dog has white gums, lips and touge also around eyes nose

my dog has white gums, lips and touge also around eyes nose and ears are white as if no pink color. and breath is bad smells like fish when going to the bathroom my dogs stool is soft and orange in color need to know if this is a emergency and should be going to the emerency room or can it wait till tommorrow when my vet is open dog is acting normal just looks alittle tired. last time at the vet they did blood work at the emergency room and regular vet did blood work xrays etc. cost a thousand plus dollars said his platlets were low gave him some clavamox but could give me no aswers as to what caused the problem i am not rich and can no afford to go to the emergency room if its not neccesary plus it was a waste of time and money
Category: Dog
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I can tell you the following :

The symptoms you describe such as white gums, lips, and a general white colour elsewhere give me serious cause for concern. The smell on your dogs breath may also be significant and the stool colour might be implicated as well. The white colour usually means anaemia ...

While your dog may well make it through the night until you can see your regular vet for a few tests no one can guarantee this. Accordingly the only advice I can give you is that you should have your dog checked as soon as possible even if this means seeing an emergency vet. Better safe than sorry ...

If I have not answered your question fully enough or if you would like to ask more I will be on line for the next hour or so and I will be pleased to discuss your question further.

Scott Nimmo BVMS

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
if this turns out to be anemia because of low platelets what can the emergency place do to correct the proble what are the procedures for this problem
Hello again,

1. A number of treatments would be available in an emergency situation such as blood transfusion, blood plasma expanders IV, IV drips for shock and a variety of drugs such as steroids.

2. The cause of anaemia has to be investigated in depth and a diagnosis arrived at so that hopefully the situation is controlled and does not happen again.

Briefly anaemia can occur in three situations:

A. Destruction of blood cells including platelets : This can be caused by immune related causes, the immune system starts to recognise blood cells as foreign and destroys them. This is quite a common cause of anaemia in the dog. While it cannot be cured drugs such as steroids given at a minimal effective dose for life can control the disease.

B. Loss of blood cells : Heamorrhage either internal or external, this can happen with splenic tumours for example.

C. Reduced production of blood cells : In such situations as bone marrow cancer.

This is a large and complex field but the above is the usual starting points.

Regards,

Scott
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.