Anna, Dog Expert, Biologist
Experience:  35 years training & showing dogs. Written articles for Dog Fancy, Dogs, Dog World.

I dropped a pill and my dog eat a Lorazepam 1mg she is 5 years

Customer Question

I dropped a pill and my dog eat a Lorazepam 1mg she is 5 years old mix breed and weighs 55 pounds
Category: Dog
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.

This drug is used in dogs to control seizures and to sedate them. The amount your dog consumed shouldn't hurt her. She may be drowsy, but the drug is metabolized quickly by dogs, and you should see the maximum effects within 2 hours of the time she ate the pill. Then it should begin to wear off. A few dogs may react to Lorazepam with behavior changes, but that is rare and temporary. If you see any effects other than the expected sedation, you'd want to call your vet. It's unlikely that you'll need to do that. If your dog happens to be on any other medications, you'll also want to call your vet to be sure there won't be any interactions. If you have more questions about this, just let me know by clicking on REPLY.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much. That was what I thought, but some people meds hurt dogs so wanted to check.
Have a great day. Sherri