Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian

My Yorkie has had diarrhea with some vomiting since saturday.

My Yorkie has had diarrhea with some vomiting since saturday. Stools have gotten to the point of very liquid with some blood noted. I took her to her regular vet yesterday. he gave a shot of prevail/linc and put on sulcrafate tabs twice daily... she is not any better today... is it ok to give something for the diarrhea?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 years ago.

Hi thereCustomer

Thank you for your question regarding your Yorkie girl who has had ongoing diarrhea and vomiting since Saturday - the poor thing. It definitely sounds as though your girl has got a bad case of gastroenteritis. This is most likely due to something she ate and I commonly see these sorts of symptoms in dogs who have managed to get into the rubbish!! If this is ongoing and she has ongoing vomition, then I would be very concerned she could even have pancreatitis. If she is still quite sick tomorrow, get her back to the Vet for some blood tests.

If there are any more bouts of diarrhea tomorrow, then you should take her down to your Vet to get her checked and your Vet will decide whether there is a likely infectious cause or not and my give her an antibiotic injection or some Peptobismyl to help firm things up again. In the mean time, be sure to keep her well hydrated and feed her bland food for the next two days or so. You can either purchase some Hill's I/D from your local Vet or stick to dog biscuits only.

As I say the most likely cause for her symptoms is an acute gastroenteritis and this can commonly be caused by salmonella or campylobacter. If this diarrhea is ongoing, you should take a sample in an icecream container or something similar so that your Vet can send it to the lab for a fecal culture so that we know what is going on here. An obstruction is also possible if this is ongoing as your girl has had vomiting as well as diarrhea. For this reason also make sure you wash your hands after handling your girl!

Finally - yes it will be fine to give her something for the diarrhea and pepto bismyl or scourban is best for this. If you have some there you can give some as directed. If you don't have any you will have to get some from your Vet tomorrow as mentioned previously.

Best of luck with your girl and please keep me posted.

Thank you for your question and please now click ACCEPT.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards

Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can i buy some peptobismol over the counter to give her?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can i give her over the counter pepto bismol for diarrhea?
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 years ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for the accept and sorry about the delay in getting back to you. Here in New Zealand you cannot get it over the counter and I think it would be the same in the states (assuming this is where are you are from). However - give your Vet a call in the morning and if things are still a bit sloppy then he or she would probably be happy to prescribe you some without seeing your girl.

If you need any further info please don't hesitate to reply to this post.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards

Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you for your response.. pepto is available here over the counter... just wasn't sure if it was the same formula as used for pets... but will monitor her thru the night & see what happens.... i am a nurse & have been for 25 years so i tend to try to "doctor" my babies myself when i can, but also know my limits... thanks again...