Dr O Jovovich
Dr O Jovovich, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVSc (Bachelor of Veterinary Science - Massey University, NZ)
13658106

my dog is throwing up a lot, and keeps licking everything in

my dog is throwing up a lot, and keeps licking everything in sight... it just started an hour ago, and she doesn't seem to be getting any better.
Submitted: 6 years ago via Vet.com.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr O Jovovich replied 6 years ago.

Hi thereCustomer

I'm sorry to hear about your 4 year old Beagle who has been throwing up over the last few hours. It definitely sounds as though she is not feeling very well and the fact she has been vomiting indicates she probably also has some abdominal discomfort as well. There are quite a number of things that could be going on here from an acute gastroenteritis (from getting into the trash, something or she shouldn't have - or even from raw meat - particularly if it was chicken), a toxicity or something like an obstruction (partial or complete within her bowel) . If this has been going on for a few hours and your dog has not had much to eat or drink, then I would definitely encourage you to get your dog examined at your local Vet or emergency vet. It is much better being safe than sorry in these situations as there could be a myriad of things going on here and only a full Veterinary physical examination can help pinpoint the cause of the problem in order to instigate a treatment and of course set your mind at ease and give your girl some comfort from todays events!

Whatever the case you will definitely need to visit your Vet in the morning - unless she seems absolutely symptomless. Please keep a close eye on your dog's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of the gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get your dog to the emergency Vet if they appeal white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanced white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she is continuously panting throughout the night this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Please get in touch with your Vet or emergency Vet if these symptoms are ongoing or if you are overly concerned about your dog's current state of health. Please keep in touch and let me know how you get on. I hope this has been of help to you and do try and get some sleep tonight. If you can't sleep because you are worried - this is enough for me to tell you to visit your emergency vet now.

Thank you and please now click ACCEPT.

Kind Regards,

Dr O Jovovich

Dr O Jovovich, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: BVSc (Bachelor of Veterinary Science - Massey University, NZ)