How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LennyDVM Your Own Question
LennyDVM, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 548
Experience:  30 years as owner of a mobile practice treating dogs, cats, horses and other pets.
Type Your Dog Question Here...
LennyDVM is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what does chocolate to dogs?

Resolved Question:

what does chocolate to dogs?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  LennyDVM replied 7 years ago.


Chocolate is toxic for dogs. Theobromine is the toxic ingredient.


Signs of toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, tremors, seizure and abnormal heart rhythms. Death is possible with severe overdoses.


9 mg of theobromine per pound of body weight causes mild signs and 18 mg per pound causes severe signs of toxicity.


Milk chocolate contains 44 mg/ounce, semisweet chocolate contains 150 mg/ounce and baking chocolate contains 390 mg / ounce. For a 50 lb dog, this is about 20 ounces of milk chocolate, 7 ounces of dark chocolate or 2.3 ounces of baking chocolate.


If you can get the chocolate out of the dog's system within 30 minutes by causing it to vomit, further treatment should not be needed. If toxic signs occur, hospitalization and treatment are needed. It takes about 4 days for theobromine to be cleared from the body.

LennyDVM and 2 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you

Related Dog Questions