LennyDVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  30 years as owner of a mobile practice treating dogs, cats, horses and other pets.

dog: has very red ear and is acting very nervous

My dog has very red ear and is acting very nervous. He is an English Springer Spaniel what can I do for him??
Category: Dog
Expert:  LennyDVM replied 7 years ago.

Is only one ear red?

Is there any exudate in the ear (smelly liquid, black waxy material etc.)?

It sounds like he has had a problem with ears before.

What are the ingredients or the name of the drops?

Were you given a diagnosis (ear mites, infection, allergy)?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

He is a new dog to me. I just got him this summer. The other woman had him before.

She gave me drops called dexamethasone ear solution. it is just in one ear and it is very red. He does have allergies.

Expert:  LennyDVM replied 7 years ago.

Dexamethasone is a corticosteroid and would be used to treat allergic reactions. You can use it for this problem. Put a couple drops in the ear and some on the inside of the flap if it is red. Rub the base of the ear to distribute the solution in the ear canal.

You can also give benadryl if the dog seems uncomfortable. This will help control the reaction and help the dog sleep. A 50 mg tablet 2 times a day would be a reasonable dose for a Springer.

If the redness does not clear up within a day or so, a vet visit would be a good next step.