LennyDVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  30 years as owner of a mobile practice treating dogs, cats, horses and other pets.

dachshund: is trembling and stiff and reluctant to come..cries..yelp

My mini dachsund (Arwen) is trembling and stiff and reluctant to come when I call her. When I try to pick her up or touch her she cries. Just moving the bed she is on makes her yelp. She has a history of paralysis in her lower legs which was fixed by acupuncture (last summer). She is normally very active, I am just wondering what is happening to her. I plan on taking her to the vet in the morning I just need to know what the problem is so I can decide if emergency care is needed.

Category: Dog
Expert:  LennyDVM replied 7 years ago.

It sounds like she hurts and the most likely cause is a prolapsed intervertebral disc. This should be similar to the paralysis last summer, which also sounds like disc disease.

If she is able to stand, walk and use her legs, she can wait until tomorrow although there is a risk that the problem will get worse over night.

Medical treatment for disc disease is strict rest. Usually prednisone (glucocorticoids) and/or muscle relaxants are given.Acupuncture might again be effective.

Let me know if you have follow up questions.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I won't be able to get her to the vet until tomorrow morning which is about 10 hours from now, is there anything I can do in the mean time? I know that disk disease is prominent in mini Dachsunds, I just don't know how this happened to her, she has been so good over the past year. Thank you for your time and for your answer