LennyDVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  30 years as owner of a mobile practice treating dogs, cats, horses and other pets.

My 8 year old female lab mix had a weird episode today. She

My 8 year old female lab mix had a weird episode today. She was on her bed asleep when she suddenly jumped up seemingly in fear, however she was very wobbly and stumbled around into the next room. She layed down for a minute, then walked into another room where she vomitted. She has been acting strangly ever since. She won't let me out of her sight, has been sleeping, and is afraid of everything. I thought she might habe had a small seizure, but after reading online, I am worried about a brain tumor. Her behavior has altered slightly over the last few months, but I attributed that to her getting older. Any thoughts?
Category: Dog
Expert:  LennyDVM replied 7 years ago.

You are not describing a typical gran mal seizure, but your description is compatible with seizure behavior. Idiopathic epilepsy seizures generally start between 4-8 years of age. She is on the high side for this, but it is possible. Other causes of seizures in older dogs include low glucose levels, electrolyte imbalances, liver disease, hypothyroidism, some infectious diseases, toxins and brain tumors are a possibility. Pain is another possible cause of the signs you describe.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is a vet visit including a physical exam and some diagnostic testing. A common basic database includes a fecal, urinalysis, complete blood count, serum chemistry and thyroid hormone level. A test for Lyme. Erhlichia and Anaplasma exposure may be indicated if you are in an area where these tick borne diseases are prevalent.

Once you get a diagnosis or at least rule out some problems, a treatment plan can be formulated.

For now, keep your girl quiet. Offer her food and water. Make a vet appointment in the morning.

Let me know if you have follow up questions.