LennyDVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  30 years as owner of a mobile practice treating dogs, cats, horses and other pets.

My 7 1/2 kg wire fox terrier, Abby , has a sebaceous cyst on

My 7 1/2 kg wire fox terrier, Abby , has a sebaceous cyst on her right shoulder that has become infected and is now draining pus. She does not seem to be in pain nor is she off her feed or less active than ususal. I would like to start anntibiotics before taking her to her vet tomorrow. I am a doctor and would like to start her on amoxicillin (125mg BID). Is this plan and dosage advisable? Irealize she will need to have this I&D'ed and eventually removed.
Submitted: 7 years ago via PetPlace.
Category: Dog
Expert:  LennyDVM replied 7 years ago.

Dose for Amoxi is 5-10 mg/lb bid. 125 mg bid is reasonable.

If the cyst is draining, hot/warm/wet packing would help keep the drainage hole open. If the hole is large enough gentle pressure would help get the thick sebaceous material out. If the cyst can drain on its own, surgical drainage can be avoided.

Once the infection is cleared and the area healed, removal of the cyst makes sense to avoid a repeat.

Let me know if you have follow up questions.