Dr. Karen
Dr. Karen, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Cornell DVM, small animal practice

How to treat a broken paw

How to treat a broken paw

I am sorry to hear about your pup's foot. While I can't look at the foot for you to help establish if there really is a break, the only true way to do this is to take an x-ray of the foot. The reason why this is important is that in young dogs, there are things called growth plates at the ends of bones. This is where the bone lengthens. If these are damaged, the bone wont grow anymore and can alter the way the foot looks and maybe even how it functions. Additionally if these fractures aren't lined up just right they wont heal straight.

That said, I can understand the limitations. The best thing if nothing can be done is to do strict cage rest for about six weeks. This means that you carry him outside to pee and poop several times a day and otherwise he gets restricted to a kennel to stay off of his foot and to allow it to heal. Since he is so little, pain control can be an issue (not giving him too much), I often feel sometimes its better to keep them a little painful (I know it sounds mean) but that reminds them (especially crazy puppies) to keep off of it.

As long as the swelling doesn't get worse and he is otherwise bright, happy, healthy, eating and drinking and continuing whatever growing he has left to do, it will probably be just fine to keep him restricted for six weeks. I can not tell you however what the foot will end up looking like in the end.

I hope this information helps, please feel free to get in contact with me if you have further questions. Best of luck to you and your pup,

Dr. Karen
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I really appreciated how much information Dr. Karen gave me on how to treat my dog. I was really worried and she made me feel better. She was a big help.