LSU-Vet
LSU-Vet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian, Dog/Cat Veterinarian
12131827

I have a 6 month old min. schanuzer who has had diarahea for

Customer Question

I have a 6 month old min. schanuzer who has had diarahea for over 6 weeks. she has been seen by two different vets and no one kind find anything wrong with her, all of her blood work has comeback ok as well as a barrium x-ray test. they always put her on W/D or I/D food which runs through her faster than anything else. She is getting so weak and frail we are afraid we are going to lose her any ideas?
Category: Dog
Expert:  LSU-Vet replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for writing in,

Sorry to hear your little girl is having such a rough start. Sound like alot has already been done for your girl, but here are a few other suggestions for you and maybe you want to talk to your vet about them.

The first is testing her for Giardia. This is an intestinal protozoan that causes diarrhea. It is not usually detected in a regular fecal exam so needs to be a special request to a diagnostic lab.

THe second is if it is pancreatic insufficiency where her body can't digest fats so they pass out undigested and your dog doesn't absorb them so is skinny. I wouldn't say mini sch are the most common breed affected, but it is something to consider.

This could also be a malabsorption problem and requires an intestinal biopsy to help determine what is going on.

Has your dog already been on Metronidazole? THis is my favorite medicine for diarrhea. ALso, consider asking about Fortiflora which is a probiotic and helps replace the normal bacteria in the GI tract that the antibiotics could be killing.

GIve those things a try and let me know if you have any other questions.

LSU-Vet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian, Dog/Cat Veterinarian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She has IBS, and is on 5mg of prednisone per day. The vet will not spay her because of the risk of bleeding do to the prednisone. We have a doggie door for her, and she is in and out literally 30 times a day. When she is in heat and bleeding, we keep panties and a pantie liner on her. As you can imagine, this is a huge undertaking for three weeks. Is there any other way at all to stop her from going in to heat or bleeding?