How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Marcia Your Own Question
Dr. Marcia
Dr. Marcia, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 577
Experience:  I am a Companion Animal Veterinarian with 15 years of medical and surgical experience
10807259
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Marcia is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

MY DOG ATE SOME D CON MOUSE POISON ABOUT 8 HOURS AGO, DO YOU

Resolved Question:

MY DOG ATE SOME D CON MOUSE POISON ABOUT 8 HOURS AGO, DO YOU THINK IT IS TOO LATE 2 SAVE HER?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Age: <1; Female; Breed: pit bull


Already Tried:
water vitamin k
Expert:  Dr. Marcia replied 8 years ago.
Customer

thanks for your question.

D-Con poison is very scary as it will definitely kill pets easily. However, the great news is, it does not have any effects for 3-5 days, so if you know a pet ate it, they can definitely be treated easily and the dog will have no ill effects.

You mentioned vitamin K, which is the treatment for this toxin. If we know a dog ate D-Con, first we tend to recommend inducing vomiting, if the dog had the toxin within the last few hours. Activated charcoal is also sometimes given to help absorb it from the gut. However, even if the dog is not treated in these ways, as long as the dog is started on vitamin K and it is given long enough (usually 2-3 weeks minimum) and at the right dose, the dog should be just fine.

Here is some information on this toxin:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1765

 

Since your dog has already started Vitamin K, all should be well. Make sure to continue her on that as long as your vet recommends and to have her rechecked when the medication is done.

I hope that helps! Thank you! Dr. Marcia

Dr. Marcia and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you