Dr Pete
Dr Pete, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Bachelor of Veterinary Science (University of Melbourne, Australia)
11090950

My dog has a red bump between his toes attached to his toe

My dog has a red bump between his toes attached to his toe pad. It looked like a big pimple with an entry point, now 3 months later - (I did take him to the vet 3 months ago and they said to soak it and gave cephalexin - no change) it was 2 smaller bumps on the original bump and these are lighter in color. I plan on taking him to visit another vet this week - any thoughts s to what this could be. All appetite, activity is normal. No drainage (don't think interdigital cyst, as it is not in between toes but rather attached to the side of toe pad) He is a Choc. Lab - 2.5 years old.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Age: 2; Male; Breed: Dog/Chocolate Lab

Already Tried:
Soaking and antibiotics
Expert:  Dr Pete replied 6 years ago.
Hi Zeke
A good choice of dog (but I am a biased owner of a Lab)
It is difficult to diagnose this without actually examining your dog. But from what you describe it could be either a small benign growth called a histiocytoma, a cyst (they can occur at any site) or a small foreign body. The fact that there appears to be an entry point makes me suspicious of the latter. Foreign bodies are common on the feet of dogs. The offending material can be a wood splinter, plant thorn, grass seed or metal splinter. The body produces reaction around the material and tries to expel it through a sinus.
Because it has been there for 3 months my recommendation would be to explore it surgically. This would generally be under a general anaesthetic. Usually we probe through the sinus first to see if there is a foreign body. If this is unproductive then we would excise it. The area beside the pad generally heals fast.
Don't get worried about it. I am sure it can be resolved simply.
I hope I have been of assistance. Please contact me back if you feel I can assist further.
Regards, Peter
Dr Pete, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Bachelor of Veterinary Science (University of Melbourne, Australia)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you or your response. Do you think there is any other way to expel or shrink this without surgery....soaking..application of cream..thanks
Expert:  Dr Pete replied 6 years ago.
Sorry about the delay in getting back to you.
If it is a histiocytoma then sometimes cortisone will shrink it. The cortisone is often used directly into th elesion (by injection).. But I think a histiocytoma is the least likely. Labs will often allow you to probe a sinus without a generala anaesthetic....but the underside of the foot is a very sensitive area and can be difficult to deal with.
I think it's unlikley topical medications will work.
I'd be interested to know how things turn out if you can spare the time to let me know after you've seen your vet.
Thi site shows a histiocytoma
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histiocytoma_(dog)
Good luck, Peter
Dr Pete, Dog Veterinarian