Dr. Debbie
Dr. Debbie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Full time practicing companion animal veterinarian.
4801514

My dog was diagnosed with a slow heart rate. Is this life

My dog was diagnosed with a slow heart rate. Is this life threatening?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Age: 12; Female

Already Tried:
My veterinarian is not available. I took her to a veterinarian with whom I was not familiar. She prescribed a medication which I purchased from her. She did not take the time to explain what the medication was nor did she explain why this happened or anything about the condition. It was a five minute examination.

It depends on how slow the heart rate is and what the cause of it is to know if it is life threatening; but I would be inclined to think that it is not unless it is excessively slow. Do you have the name of the medication? I could help explain that to you if you have the name. Also, what breed is your dog?

I wouldn't worry about it being life threatening - generally it is not, and given the fact they sent you home, it sounds like she is stable.

Dr. Debbie