Joni
Joni, Certified Vet Tech-Canine Specialty
Experience:  20+ years as dog specialist at vet clinic (all aspects)- raise Great Danes
263661

my dog suddenly got very lethargic,and wont even get up to

my dog suddenly got very lethargic,and won't even get up to eat, I am concered because he had a tick born illness before andwas treated with antibiotics,but a friend of ours recently had their dog die suddenly from a tick born illness,should we contact an emergency vet?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Age: 4; Male; Breed: Golden retriever

Already Tried:
buffered aspirin

How long ago was he treated?

How long has he been lethargic and not eaten?

Any other symptoms such as vomiting or diarrhea?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

He was treated a little more than a year ago. he has benn lethargic all afternooon.

he ate but only becase i carried his bowl to him and set it right in front of his face.

OK- It is good that he is eating. Is he able to walk if you force him to get up?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
barely,he's really having a hard time.
Your best bet would be to have an emergency vet see him to be 100% safe. Is there any chance he was hit by a car or had some sort of trauma? Does he seem to be having more problems with the rear legs? Check him really good for ticks- mostly on his spine area. What color are his gums and eye whites? Do his pupils look normal? Can you take his temperature rectally for me?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
hiseyes and gums look okay,we have a female also so I compared his to hers and they look pretty much the same. his rear seems to be more affected. and he didn't have any trauma. We have been with him all day.
OK check him over really good for ticks- especially on his spine. This generally causes a parayalsis in the rear legs more than anything. Can you take his temperature by chance?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
His temp. is 101.5
OK- normal for a resting dog is 101-102 so that is good. Have you looked him over really good for ticks?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
We live where the ticks are very thick we get ten or better ticks off of them everyday.
Then that may be what it is. The dog won't get any relief until the tick is removed from the spine. Do you use any sort of preventative for ticks? The Preventick collars work great. Do you have anything like Adam's flea and tick spray that you can use to kill them right now?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
we use promeris, and we have checked him and removed all the ticks,will he be okay to wait till Monday when we can see our regular vet or should we take him to the 24 hour emergency hospital?

Glad you mentioned Promeris- this in particular has caused some bad side effects in dogs. Symptoms like you are describing as well. Let me find some info. for you on it and then we'll decide.

http://www.lawyerseek.com/Practice/Product-Liability-C2/ProMeris-Undisclosed-Side-Effects-P177/

http://www.clevelandapl.org/forum/index.php?topic=199.0

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
We had treated him about a month ago, and then just as we wre in touch with you because you had asked if we had something to put on him,should we wash it off?

http://www.bichonhealth.org/HealthInfo/AlertPromeris.asp

It is absorbed pretty quickly but you can certainly wash him if he is going to be able to get dry and stay warm. This is just a possibility of what may be wrong. I know we have seen some problems in dogs that we believe this is the cause of them.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
will he be okay our should we take him in tonight,or see if he's better in the morning???
He will probably be OK to see how he is in the morning. I would call my local emergency clinic and ask them if they are seeing any Promeris toxicidy problems and tell them his symptoms. If he did have some ticks on that you removed and that was the cause he should be feeling better by in the morning.