Theresa
Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
Experience:  19+ years experience in small animal medicine

My dog is breathing heavily. She has been for the last hour

My dog is breathing heavily. She has been for the last hour and a half - won't lay down. She is 12 yrs old and is taking thyroid meds so don't know if reaction to that.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Theresa replied 5 years ago.
What color are her gums?

Is she spayed?

Has she been eating and drinking normally?

Is there an increase in thirst?

Does her stomach seem bloated or hard?

Any vomiting or wretching?

How long has she been doing this?

What breed is she?

What does she weigh?

Theresa
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

She is spayed

Gums are pink

Won't eat dinner but ate some during the day while we were at work

Seems to be thirsty and likes cold water

Stomach is firm but doesn't seem to be bloated

No vomiting or wretching

She was breathing heavily last night for a while and then quit

She has been breathing heavily - don't laying down and driving me nuts coming up to me, nuzzling me and generally wanting my attention - she does this but usually will lay down when I tell her to "lay" and she won't do that tonight

She is a golden retriever

Weighs 85 lbs

We have been out of town for five days until yesterday and neighbors were taking care of her.

Started new thyroid meds because of skin problems and very low levels on blood tests the dr ran.

Giving her Tyrosen/8 mg twice a day (does this have side effects like this)

She will not leave me alone like she wants something but I can't figure out what it is and she won't settle down.

Should I call her vet - hated to since it is 8:30 at night here.

Expert:  Theresa replied 5 years ago.
Keep an eye on the size of her stomach and make sure that it isn't getting larger or seeming more painful for her. This irritability she has could actually be related to the thyroid medication. It is usually temporary but she might need to start at a lower dose and then gradually increase. Like 1 tablet daily, then 1.5 tablets daily for a few days, then up to 2 tablets daily. This will allow her body to adjust more easily. It is also possible that the dose is a bit high but we won't know that until she has her values rechecked. If she doesn't settle down then you may want to contact your vet. There could be other issues affecting her like Cushing's disease or pain. So we need to keep an eye on this and hopefully it is just a reaction to the medications. Some dogs develop energy that they haven't had in a long time and this may be some of that but with a little irritability as well. All should settle down once she is adjusted to the medication.

Theresa
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks so much. She seems so restless and she is really smart and acts like she wants me to do something but I can't seem to get her to settle down. Should I just watch her tonight? Do I need to worry about the heavy breathing if she continues this?
Expert:  Theresa replied 5 years ago.
Yes, you should keep an eye on her tonight.

Theresa
Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
Experience: 19+ years experience in small animal medicine