LouA
LouA, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  20+ yrs experience in vet medicine, special interest in Sighthounds, successful Agility competitor
9990371

What age can a puppy have a microchip

What age can a puppy have a microchip
There is no maximum or minimum age limit for microchip insertion. On my own puppies I will usually chip them before I send them to their new homes. On client animals I will sometimes insert the chips on the first puppy visit at around 9 weeks of age. Some clients will choose to have the chipping performed at the time of the spay/neuter. So you can really pretty much do it anytime you wish. Enjoy your new puppy!!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi, thanks for replying, what age do you think it is best to take puppy from the breeder, and is it safe to take puppy out after first vaccinations. I am just not sure what is the best time to collect puppy, is it best after 2nd vaccinations at 10 weeks. Many thanks
In my opinion, puppies should stay with their moms until around 11 to 12 weeks. They learn so much about social interaction during those first weeks from their mom as well as their litter mates. I would wait at least until after the second set of vaccinations before exposing your puppy to too much in the evironment.