Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian

my 4 year old golden retriever is limping. Her left hind leg

my 4 year old golden retriever is limping. Her left hind leg appears swollen at the elbow. She seemed to pull her leg up after jumping from the car. What can I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. K replied 7 years ago.

I do not generally recommend aspirin for dogs, as most dogs find it difficult to tolerate. It commonly causes gastric bleeding ulcers, and many dogs will start vomiting and stop eating soon after taking it. Furthermore, when you then go to the vet because the dog is not feeling better, the aspirin that was given may make it impossible for the vet to give a more effective non-steroidal anti-inflammatory as they will interact negatively with one another. So, please discontinue use of this drug.

If your dog has been limping for just a couple of days, you can visit the veterinarian for a more appropriate and effective and pain control medication such as Rimadyl or Previcox. If your dog has been limping for 5 days or more, she should have X-rays of the affected limb. There are many different causes for chronic limping, including osteoarthritis, torn ligaments, hip dysplasia, bone cancer, Lyme disease and neurologic disease. I am attaching a client information handout that I use in my practice that discusses this in more detail.

Click Here

I hope that this information is of help to you, and I wish you the best of luck with your dog. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K