Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

Why is my dogs butt swollen and sore

Why is my dog's butt swollen and sore?
Thanks for the question Daisy.

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I can tell you what would be going through my mind if I was presented with such a case. These symptoms are common enough by the way, the possibilities would be :

1. Anal glands : Dogs have scent glands very close to the anus, one on each side, sometimes these can play up. They can become impacted or infected but this is usually a trivial condition which you vet will quickly resolve. This is perhaps the commonest condition which will cause irritation on the anal area.

2. Worms : Some worms which will be living in your dog's intestinal tract can cause inflammation and itching of the anal area. Your vet can prescribe a suitable worm med but these days very effective worms are available over the counter as well.

3. Eczema of the anal area : Your dog may have an inflamed anal area following a diarrhoea or straining due to constipation. A generalised eczema of the area is possible as well. This condition could respond to anti-inflammatory creams applied to the outside.

Discussion : The above are the trigger factors but dogs frequently make matters worse either by dragging their butts along the ground to try and relieve the itching or by licking and biting at the area. I am sorry I cannot suggest any home remedy here as there is a range of possible diagnosis. My advice therefor has to be to get your vet to check your dog out.

If I have not answered your question fully enough or if you would like to ask more I will be on line for the next hour or so and I will be pleased to discuss your question further.

Scott Nimmo BVMS