Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian

My dog has a watery eye. It has no mucus built up nor is it

My dog has a watery eye. It has no mucus built up nor is it swollen at all. He rubs at it.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. K replied 7 years ago.
For how long has your dog's eye looked like this?
Does he have tears running out of his eyes onto the fur surrounding his eyes?
Is the white part of the eyeball (the sclera) very reddened or "blood-shot" looking?
Does he rub at it, or blink excessively?
What type of eye drops have you been putting in it?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it started last night.I wiped it with a cloth and put generic eye moisture drops in his right eye.
It seemed to go away and this he looked fine. no excessive winking or rubbing.
Yes he has tears running in to the fur some not a lot.
No the white part is not red or blood shot.
now he is rubbing it and winking . After toweling and the drops he seems okay. hes not really rubbing at it or showing affects.
Expert:  Dr. K replied 7 years ago.
What you are describing is called epiphora and is an abnormal overflow of the aqueous portion of the tear film. It is caused by overproduction of the tears (usually in response to an ocular irritation), poor eyelid function secondary to malformation or deformity, or blockage of the nasolacrimal drainage system.
In the case of irritation, there is also usually redness associated with the condition, so this cause seems less likely. The irritants can be strange eyelashes that are growing out from the inside membrane of the eyelid, eyelid tumors, infectious or immune-mediated conjunctivitis, ulcerative keratitis, anterior uveitis or glaucoma. All of these conditions are associated with red eyes and can be tested for with physical examinaiton, culture of the conjunctiva, and Tono-pen examination.
An eyelid anatomical abnormality is usually a congenital problem, so it would be odd for this to suddenly appear in a non-juvenile animal. It can happen post a traumatic event that caused injury to the eye and resulted in scarring, but I assume you would have mentioned something like this in her history. Facial nerve paralysis can also cause this to happen, but with this you would notice an inability to blink.
Obstruction of the nasolacrimal drainage system is the most likely diagnosis here because of the absence of red eyes. This can be caused by rhinitis or sinusitis, trauma or fractures to the bones in the area, foreign bodies such as grass awns, seeds, sand, or parasites, cancer of the thrid eyelid, conjunctiva or nasal cavity or inflammation of the nasolacrimal duct. A fluoroscein dye test is used to evaluate the patency of the duct. The dye that is placed into the eye should appear coming out of the nostril in about 10 seconds. If it does not, then a blockage is likely. The treatment is to cannulate the opening to the duct inside the lower eyelid (under sedation) and flush it through until it is patent. The animal is then usually put on antibiotic drops and an anti-inflammatory drop to treat the inflammatory process. Recurrence is common.

DO NOT continue to put any type of drops in his eyes. This can actually harm him further and will likely confound any tests that the vet will want to do to determine why this is happening. Your best course of action at this point, is to leave him be for the evening, and take him in to the veterinarian in the morning to be evaluated.

I hope that this information is of help to you, and I wish you the best of luck with your dog. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K