Gina
Gina, Breeder and Health Care Specialist
Experience:  20+ years experience in animal health care. Hobby breeder of Olde English Mastiffs and owned by an English Bulldog.
673497

my dog has very sore nipples and seems in pain, her breasts

my dog has very sore nipples and seems in pain, her breasts are very soft, but she seems miserable, she has been feeding for 4 weeks, the puppies have no teeth yet. what can i do to help her.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Gina replied 8 years ago.

Hello:

Congrats on the new litter. You might want to check for teeth one more time as they should have their incisors by now..between 2-3 weeks is when they come in. So give a quick look see as this could be why she is experiencing some pain. Also, the nails of the pups. If you haven't done so yet, clip the little hooks off the tips of all the nails. At this point, a gruel should be introduced to the pups...sort of like a dog food milkshake. This will supplement them and give mom more of a break. A blender and high quality puppy food is easiest to make this mixture. I suggest using goat's milk as the liquid but if you can't find it (powdered is great too) you can use Esbilac. They still do need to nurse several times per day but weaning should be started. Its messy but worth it. Now, to give mom some additional relief. A warm pack or cool compress can be used to help. Keep her teets moist by putting some bag balm on the area daily, just wash it off before feedings. Its non toxic but may make the pups stool a bit runny. Do start the gruel feedings and see how these babies do :) Good luck and let me know if you need further help :)