Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years experience as a companion animal veterinarian in British Columbia, California and Ontario
7995545

my dog hurt her leg jumping off of my bed. for about ten seconds

Customer Question

my dog hurt her leg jumping off of my bed. for about ten seconds she cried when she tried to walk, but then she stopped. it has been about fifteen minutes now, and at first she was limping quite obviously, but now she only limps when she tries to walk fast. she can walk slowly without limping. she is not whining or crying and is wagging her tail. should i take her to a vet?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer
Welcome to Just Answer! I would be happy to help you and your dog with this question, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

Is it a front leg that she is limping on?

Fiona
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes, her front right leg.
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
And is your dog a 10lb chihuahua mix, or a 150lb mastiff mix... or something in between? ;-)

If you hold up her LEFT front leg, will she hold weight on her right front, or does she collapse?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
she weighs about 35 pounds. i just tried your experiment, and she didn't seem even slightly uncomfortable holding her weight on the injured leg. in fact, while i was waiting for your answer, i was petting her and when i stopped she actually pawed at me with her injured leg to try to get me to keep petting her (a bad habit of hers). i am just worried because she is still limping.
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
Ah!
Ok, thanks for that additional information!

Does she ever limp on walks, or first thing in the morning? Does she ever hesitate normally when coming down stairs?

I am going to go write up a detailed answer and will be back shortly!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no, i have never seen her limp if there wasn't an obvious cause. like i said, when she jumped of the bed, she yelped when she hit the ground, and cried for a few seconds afterward.
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
Ok!

does she have any problems with her kidneys, any tendency to vomit or have diarrhea (ie a sensitive stomach) or is she on any medications?

Fiona
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no to all. she has always been very healthy.
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
Hi againCustomer

You have described to me a 35lb 10yr old dog who recently jumped off a bed and injured her right front leg. From what you are describing, I would wonder if she may have "landed wrong" and in so doing overextended her carpus (wrist) or jammed her elbow joint. This can be very painful for a short period of time.

If she were my patient, I would advise you to keep her on minimal exercise (short leash walks) for a week, and particularly to carry her DOWN anything (down stairs, down out of the car, down off the bed) so she does not re-injure the joint.

For patients that I see who have pain as you are describing, I do sometimes suggest to owners that they may be able to give some aspirin (as long as the dog has no history of kidney problems and is not on other medications) for ONE OR TWO DAYS ONLY.

Please use Buffered Aspirin if you have it, and give it with a piece of bread or something low-fat to eat, not on an empty stomach.

Here are links that tell you about it, with precautions and dose (which I am not legally allowed to tell you without examining your dog):
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=0&articleid=1379
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin/page1.aspx

Also, with a recent injury, it is sometimes helpful to put a cold compress (frozen peas or corn in a bag, wrapped with a tea towel work well) to the sore joint. You could try rotating her wrist and her elbow to see if she reacts to either, and put the cold pack there.

If she is not greatly improved within 2 days, or not 100% within in a week, then it would be a good idea to see your veterinarian.

If this has been helpful, please accept my answer and leave feedback. I will still be here to provide more information if you need it!
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
Fiona

Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years experience as a companion animal veterinarian in British Columbia, California and Ontario
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you so much for your help.
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
You are so very welcome! :-)
Fiona