Theresa
Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
Experience:  19+ years experience in small animal medicine
1484153

i have a dog that has been licking his penus and anal area.

i have a dog that has been licking his penus and anal area. Now he cannot walk well on his hind legs. What could it be?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Theresa replied 8 years ago.
I would suggest having him checked for a urinary tract issue or bladder infection. Many dogs who lick these areas excessively either have an infection or are having trouble urinating. Also if he is licking the staples enough it is possible that he has caused himself some irritation and it hurts to move or walk. One of the staples may be tight and pulling when he tries to walk. Your regular veterinarian should be open today to examine him at a much lower cost then the emergency vet. I would have a urinalysis performed and have your vet check the incision again. If he continues to lick excessively then an e-collar is in order to prevent this because it does increase the risk of infection.

Please let me know if further assistance is needed.

Theresa