Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Is the medication Lyrica approved for use with dogs

Is the medication "Lyrica" approved for use with dogs?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the question Wendy.

In direct answer to your question : Lyrica { Pregabalin } is not at present approved for use in dogs.

I am personally interested in this drug as an anticonvulsive for possible use in dogs which are resistant to our normal anticonvulsive phenobarbitone.

However although Pregabalin is commercially available the appropriate dose rate for oral pregabalin in dogs is still unknown and I deem it too much of a risk.

If I have not answered your question fully enough or if you would like to ask more I will be on line for the next hour or so and I will be pleased to discuss your question further.

Scott Nimmo BVMS

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you Dr. Nimmo, Are there any other medications that might be useful as a nerve agent for dogs? What about depakote or drugs for chronic fatigue/fibro myaliga? Are there any safe alternatives in the neurontin type family?
Hello again,

I wish I could help you further but these drugs are very rarely used in veterinary medicine except by specialists in the universities and other centers.

They are not licensed for use in the dog so there would always be risks.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks so much, I do understand. I thank you for your insight. I will relay this information to my vet as well!