Dr Pete
Dr Pete, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Bachelor of Veterinary Science (University of Melbourne, Australia)

Why is my dog throwing up saliva and foamy stuff

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Pete replied 7 years ago.
Regurgitating white foam is generally an indication of a throat problem. Genuine vomiting is usually yellowish. The white foam is congealed saliva or sometimes nasal secretions.
This problem is normally associated with a throat allergy or infection and the coughing fits with this. Because he is well in other ways an allergy is more likely but not a definite. Young Chihuahuas are very prone to tonsilitis (allergic and infective) and this needs to be checked by physical examination.
I think the best option is to have him checked by your vet. I would see no emergency here and even think it reasonable to wait another day or two as long as he seems well. An allergy may resolve on its own.
I hope I have been of assistance here.
Regards, peter