Dr Pete
Dr Pete, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Bachelor of Veterinary Science (University of Melbourne, Australia)

my dog has something red hanging out his butt and is swolen

my dog has something red hanging out his butt and is swolen and he cant stand up on his back legs, does this sound like cancer?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Pete replied 7 years ago.
We must consider whether what you are seeing is a part of him or something in his stool that he is trying to pass.
Most likely is that it is a part of his rectal mucosa, the membrane lining the inside of the bowel or perhaps the sphincter which is the actual openings. Growths of this nature are quite common. They can be benign polyp type growths which are easily removed surgically. This is the likely option if the growth is from the rectum. If the growth is from the sphincter area it is more likely to be an anal adenoma which is a locally invasive tumour that occurs almost only in entire male dogs (not castrated). They are also exciseable and normally if the patient is entire we would recommend castration at the same time to reduce the chance of recurrence.
So without having the advantage of seeing him I feel that there is a reasonable chance something can be done. Certainly he should be assessed by your vet to confirm the diagnosis and take appropriate action.
The inability to use his back legs is of greater concern. There is unlikely to be a direct relationship between this and the growth. Of course if the growth is invading internally that could weaken his system and cause signs like this.
He really should be taken to your vet soon (today) to be fully assessed.
I hope I have assisted here. Please contact me back if I can help further.
Regards, Peter