Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

My dog has severe bad breath recently and has been vomiting

My dog has severe bad breath recently and has been vomiting frequently. I just found three spots of a bright yellow bile. Yesterday, it was a grey liquid. I have an appointment for bloodwork to be done this week. What should I expect?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 7 years ago.

the bad breath is most likely a combination of a dental problem and a sour stomach. What should you expect from blood work is a hard question to answer. There may be some abnormalities from vomiting itself such as a low chloride, or other electrolyte abnormalities , and dehydration. Then you may see other things that could be causing them to vomit, kidney problems, liver problems, low protein, etc.

It is just hard to determine what you might see but I am glad to see you are getting bloodwork done. That is a great place to start to see whats going on.

I recommend letting your dogs stomach to rest so dont feed them anything for about 24 hours, let them have water but no food. then introduce them back onto a bland diet such as boiled chicken and white rice. Let them eat a small amount and work them up to a normal amount over a few days and if they keep that down then try reintroducing normal foods. Just an idea.

I hope this helps!