Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

Why does my shih tzu lick us alot

Why does my shih tzu lick us alot?
Hi River,

Dogs lick for a few different reasons. Some believe that they lick us to get the salt off our skin. However, dogs will lick to groom other dogs who are higher in the pack order to show their submissiveness. So when your dog is licking you, they are showing that they consider you the alpha and are showing you they care about you.

Now some dogs will lick owners excessively and lick everything. This is a different matter. Licking in that manner could be a sign that your dog has nausea or a problem with anemia, a liver issue, or even a seizure problem.

If this is a new behavior, I would try some pepcid. Read about dosages and usage information here:

i hope this information is helpful to you .