Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

What should i do if my dog is shaky, and really lazy

Customer Question

What should i do if my dog is shaky, and really lazy?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 8 years ago.

I need a bit more information to help you with your problem.

Please tell me more about your dog. . . what kind, how old, currently on any medications?

When does your dog shake? how long has it been "lazy"

is he having any other probems? vomiting? diarrhea? eating? drinking?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

He is a toy poddle and is under the age of one!! and hes on no medication...

He shakes when we put him down on the groud because we are holding him...

This is new... just started tonight ...

he was playing with our other dog and then just went to go sit down and then we picked him up and then we realized that he was not himself...

No i do not think he has any problems that we know of right now ..

It is possible that he is shaking because he is scared. He gets a lot of comfort from you holding him. Being a younger small breed dog this is often seen just because they feel safe and comfortable in your arms.

It could be also because he isn't feeling good. So if he isnt eating as much and just acting different I would probably try to get him in to see your vet.

Younger dogs can pick up different illnesses easier than older mature dogs. So when a puppy isnt acting like a puppy usually means something is wrong. Often it is not serious problem, a simple parasitic infection or respiratory infection could be example of causes.

Has he been vaccinated recently? Sometimes puppies do not feel well after getting vaccines.

Since he was playing with your other dog he also could have hurt himself a little. He could have twisted the wrong way or pulled a muscle and the shaking and not eating is caused by pain. So i would watch him for a couple days and see if this resolves.

Its hard to decide what to do with these little guys when they are acting this way. So if he isnt better by morning or gets worse get him looked at vet. This way you can stay ahead of the problem if there truely is one.

Always remember that if something doesn't seem right it is better to be safe and have them looked at then be sorry.

I hope this helps i know its a lot of information but this is what is going through my mind about your puppy.