NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

how do you treat Red Yeast in dogs.

Customer Question

how do you treat Red Yeast in dogs.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. K replied 7 years ago.
Are you referring to "Red Mange"?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
everywhere the lick the hair turns red. No skin involment. LIke razor burn. lick and lick untill area is red.......rust color and the hair has to grow out to white again.
Expert:  Dr. K replied 7 years ago.
The hair is going to be red because it is saliva staining. This is normal. When an animal constantly licks an area (usually of white hair), the hair will change color to rust. On dogs that salivate excessively, the area of hair or fur around their nose and mouth will also turn red. The only way to stop this from happening is to treat the reason why the dog is licking, in order to stop the licking.

Dr. K
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I want to stop the red, I have had lots of white dogs that did not do this. These two are from the same breeder. The saliva should not be staining. DO YOU KNOW WHAT RED YEAST IS?

Expert:  Dr. K replied 7 years ago.
I have never heard of red yeast. I assure that white dogs often get saliva staining from constant licking. The licking is what is causing the red color change to the fur. The redness will stop, if the licking is stopped. If your dog is constanly licking at her fur then there must be an underlying cause. Does your dog tend to constanly lick at her front legs and paws?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks anyways..
Expert:  Dr. K replied 7 years ago.
I would like to help you determine why your dog is licking so much. I am willing to help you if you would like, but I would need to ask you some more questions. If you are not interested...I will "opt out" so that another expert can help you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He was llicking his foot once where it as razor burned. He or she are not lickers. I want to know about red yeast infection. If you do not knkow I will keep searching.
Expert:  Dr. K replied 7 years ago.
In all of the veterinary dermatology texts that I have, there is absolutely no mention of "Red Yeast." So, I cannot help you with this, as I do not think it exists. I wish you good luck in finding out about it, and I will opt out of this question so that someone else can help you.

Dr. K
Expert:  NancyH replied 7 years ago.

Hi there let me see if I can help you.

I know what you are talking about the red yeast is the organism that grows on the damp fur and gives off an iron oxide which makes the fur red where it is kept damp.

This is particularly noticeable on white dogs.

So the usual solution is to look for the underlying problem causing the licking. As you have related dogs with the same issue I'd suspect allergies as a possible issue.

Paw licking and skin chewing is often a sign of allergies.

The skin itches from allergies, the dog licks and chews trying to soothe the itch, making the skin raw and allowing other infections to set in which may itch even more which makes the dog keep chewing or licking.
You can read about allergies and dermatitis in dogs here
Dogs can develop allergies to foods, and to inhaled items, and contact allergens such as rug cleaners, cedar beds, or chemicals including lawn chemicals or even flea bites.
You might want to try a different dog food that has no ingredients the same as what you feed now. Diets of Fish and Potato, venison, or rabbit etc. where the protein source is new and there is no grains in the food can work for many dogs for example.
You might want to see if some plain Benadryl helps with the itching. A common low dose is 1mg per pound of dog every 12 hours. If you choose to use that please read here about cautions

Or you may want to consult with your vet and consider doing allergy testing.

You may want to try a Chlorhexiderm shampoo from the pet supply store in case the problem is a bacterial skin infection.

This breed is also known to have low thyroid level issues and that can trigger skin allergies.
The vet can check for that with a blood test.
If your dog is not on a flea prevention that might also help. Just one flea bite can make an allergic dog itch all over.

Now there is also some potential that antibiotics will help with the red staining particularly around the eye area. This site goes over tear staining

and discusses within it the use of Tylosin which works for many dogs along with some other possible meds to use.

If you get nowhere working on this on your own I'd suggest seeing a veterinary dermatologist which you might find through this site

If these dogs are a part of your breeding program you may want to rethink that if your other dogs have no such problem. Introducing a health issue may not be the best choice if you have a good reputation for producing healthy poodles now.

Hope this helps you!

Experience: 30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics