How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr.Fiona Your Own Question
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 6273
Experience:  16 years experience as a companion animal veterinarian in British Columbia, California and Ontario
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr.Fiona is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my dog ate about 10 or so grapes over 24 hours ago. Would she

Customer Question

my dog ate about 10 or so grapes over 24 hours ago. Would she still be showing symtoms, if any?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 7 years ago.

Hi there lolabean,

Welcome to Just Answer! I would like to help you and your dog with this question, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.


Does your dog have any underlying medical problems that you are aware of?


When did she last eat (apart from the grapes)?



Customer: replied 7 years ago.

she doesn't have any other medical conditions.

she about 31/2 hours ago...but then I let her outside and didn't see whether or not she had vomited.

Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 7 years ago.

Ah, ok!


And does she weigh about 20lbs?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 7 years ago.

Ok! I am going to go write out your answer in detail and will be back in about 10 minutes...


Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 7 years ago.

Hi againCustomer



You are absolutely right that grapes (and raisins) are toxic to dogs. The dose at which we may see grapes causing kidney failure is as low as 0.15 oz of grapes per pound of dog. So, in your 20lb dog, that would be about 3 oz ounces of grapes. Clearly that is much more than what your dog has eaten! PHEW!



Furthermore, you would be seeing signs of toxicity by now - vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain and/or lethargy.



I will include here a news release from the ASPCA poison control centre about this issue:


ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Investigates Reports of Kidney Failure in Dogs Following Ingestion Of Grapes And Raisins



(Urbana, IL) June 14, 2002 -- The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center has received over 50 well-documented reports of dogs developing acute kidney failure after ingesting grapes or raisins. Veterinary toxicologists at the Center began noticing this trend in 1999. As more cases were reported, enough information was generated in the database to help veterinarians identify and treat dogs at risk. In all of the cases, the ingredients for potential acute kidney failure were the same. The grapes and raisins that were ingested were from a variety of sources. Some were commercially prepared products of various brands purchased at grocery stores and some were grown in private yards. The ingested amounts varied considerably. The cases weren?t from any specific region, but instead came from across the United States.


According to the preliminary data, the affected dogs generally began vomiting within 6 hours of ingesting the grapes or raisins. Most of the time, partially digested grapes or raisins could be seen in the vomit, fecal material or both. At this point, some dogs would stop eating and develop diarrhea. The dogs often became quiet and lethargic and showed signs of abdominal pain. These clinical signs lasted for several days ? sometimes even weeks. In a vast majority of cases, the dogs continued to vomit and became depressed, at which point veterinary care was sought. The results of the blood tests showed consistent patterns. Elevations in creatinine and BUN, as well as hypercalcemia and hyperphosphatemia have been reported. The abnormal blood levels would increase anywhere between 24 hours to several days after the dog ate the fruit. Kidney damage was evident in most cases within 72 hours from ingestion. As the kidney damage developed, some dogs would produce only small amounts of urine. When they could no longer produce urine, death occurred. In some cases, dogs that received timely veterinary care still had to be euthanized. Only half the dogs that received aggressive treatment, which included intravenous fluids and medications, had fully recovered.


In an attempt to determine the causative agents or disease processes, veterinary toxicologists at ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center have screened the suspected grapes and raisins for various pesticides, heavy metals, and mycotoxins (fungal contaminants) and so far, all results have come back negative. In the cases where the grapes were grown in private yards, owners confirmed that no insecticides, fertilizers or antifungals had been used on the fruit.


As for treatment, the first line of defense is decontamination. Inducing vomiting in recent ingestion and administering activated charcoal helps prevent absorption of potential toxins. Dogs should be hospitalized and placed on a diuresis of intravenous fluids for a minimum of 48 hours. The blood work should be monitored daily for at least three days following the ingestion. If all blood work is normal after three days, it?s unlikely that kidney failure will occur. If a dog shows evidence of kidney failure, fluids must be continued, and other medications should be used to stimulate urine production.


For more information, refer to:

Renal failure associated with ingestion of grapes or raisins in dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc 218[10]: 1555-6 2001, May 15, Letter to the Editor or the Proceedings from North Central Conference of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians Conference, June 11-12, 2001.

Jill A. Richardson, DVM
Veterinary Poison Information Specialist

ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center
An Allied Agency of the University of Illinois




I will also include some links to further information on this topic:


If your dog does develop vomiting, diarrhea or abdominal pain then I would certainly contact a veterinarian promptly. And I would recommend AGAINST ever giving raisins or grapes to a dog, particularly such a small dog as they are indeed toxic. However, it sounds as though your little girl did not get enough to be toxic on this occasion.



If this has been helpful, please accept my answer and leave feedback. If you have more questions, just click on reply and I will still be here to provide more information.


The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.


Best wishes,


Dr.Fiona and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks for your advice! A site like this can really give peace of mind! She actually seems a little more relaxed now,not in such a hurry to get outside and chomp on the grass. Thanks again..
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 7 years ago.

You are so welcome! I suspect the worst is over! :-)

Hope you both can sleep peacefully tonight!


Related Dog Questions