Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

Can I give my dog Zyrtec for his seasonal allergies

Customer Question

Can I give my dog Zyrtec for his seasonal allergies?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

In direct answer to your question : Zyrtec can be given to dogs at a dose rate of 1 mg/kg of your dog's bodyweight orally once a day. You should confirm this dose rate by reading the report.

This is well documented in an article from the Canadian Veterinary Journal which you can read HERE This is a reputable journal and a proper study but there are many other anecdotal accounts on the internet.

Whether you want to use this drug or not is up to you as it is a human drug and not licensed for animals, the above article will help you make up your mind. One of the reports conclusions is :

" Cetirizine was well tolerated by most dogs in this trial, with only 2 dogs (9%) experiencing mild and transient side effects. This compares very favorably with results with other antihistamines "

If I have not answered your question fully enough or if you would like to ask more I will be on line for the next hour or so and I will be pleased to discuss your question further.

Scott Nimmo BVMS
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I feel like all you did was Google my question. I can do that. In fact, I did. I had already found and read the article that you pointed me to. But, I was looking for a vet's expert opinion.

An expert opinion should come from your personal knowledge, not from a website you Googled. I could be an "expert" on any subject as long as I can use a search engine to look up the answer.
Hello again Adam,

Thanks for letting me know, there us no pressure on you here on just answers to accept an answer you are not completely happy with.

In this case my professional opinion is that Zyrtec can be given to dogs at a dose rate of 1 mg/kg of your dog's bodyweight orally once a day.

I always give a web link if I can so that clients can confirm that my answers are more or less right. I would do this even with simple drugs like aspirin. I find that this gives the clients confidence and also it is a check that I am not giving totally wrong advice. I would hate to cause any harm with an answer here.

Rest assured that the web link is simply a backup to my advice, we are encouraged by the Just Answers management team to give web links when we can to back up our advice.