Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

My 8 year old boxer has a non-healing corneal ulcer. She has

My 8 year old boxer has a non-healing corneal ulcer. She has developed extensive neovascularization of the corneal surface making healing not possible. After using flurbiprofen drops and neomycin & polymyxin B ointment for about 2 months, I checked with another vet (an ophthalogist from a local college) and she put Cassie on topical Neo/Poly/Dex. This really helped to improve the neovascularization, but there is still a hazzy film over Cassie's eye. My vet told me to continue the Neo/poly/dex for a little longer plus put in the flurbiprofen drops. Nothing seems to change though. What would you recommend I do to clear this up? Phyllis
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 5 years ago.

Hello Phyllis,

Is the ulcer healed over or is it still picking up the yellow flouresin dye?

How long have you been using the flurbiprofen and neo/poly/dex together?

Have any surgeries been performed?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dr. Gabby , On the last visit, my vet said the ulcer was just about healed. That was after a week of the flurbiprofen and neo/poly/dex together. I have given another week of it. It is time to go back again to vet. It was looking better, but today I noticed a little more red in the inside corner. My vet did do a debridement and grid keratotomy before I decided to check with the vet at the university. This did not seem to work. It remained very red after this procedure. As I said, the steroid ointment that the university vet gave me cleared up the redness after about a week, but there was still a film over the eye. It is time to take Cassie back to the vet, but I wanted to know what you would recommend. Thanks, Phyllis
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 5 years ago.

Did your vet check her tear production to make sure she does not have "dry eyes?"

Do you keep an e collar on her so she can nor rub the eye?

The blood vessels are actually a good sign. It means it is healing.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dr Gabby,
I don't believe that the tear production was checked. At least she didn't say anything to me about it. Also, I was very careful to see that Cassie did not rub her eye.
I am glad to know that the red means healing.
Is there anything else that you would recommend. phyllis
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 5 years ago.

They should definitely check the tear production because lack of teach production can cause corneal ulcers as well as impair the ability to heal.

www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1326 dry eye

Boxers can also have "bulgy" eyes and sometimes the eyelids do not close to completely cover the eyeball and therefore the corneal ulcer can dry out that way as well. That can delay healing too.

Most doctors do not use dex and flurbiprofen together because both drugs can delay corneal healing.

Drops penetrate the corneal epithelium better than ointment. The ointment can just sit on the surface.

If the whole cornea has a "blue haze" that is corneal edema or fluid in the cornea. At that point, I would add oral medications as well.

There may always be a small corneal scar.

Some ulcers need to be lightly debrided every week to remove the superficial "old dead" tissue. The eye can be numbed with a topical anesthetic and a cotton swab can be used to do the debriding.

Don't forget, they can rub the eye while you are in the shower or sleeping and then you have to start all over again.

www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=554 corneal ulcers

Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM for 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.