Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My Dog has a lump on her neck. It was small and within three

Customer Question

My Dog has a lump on her neck. It was small and within three day it is huge. Could it be an absess or something like that?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 7 years ago.
Hi Gokster,

Lumps on the nect could be due to swollen lymph gland, abscessed tooth or possibly an salivary gland problem depending on where on the neck it is. Usually with a salivary gland problem you will also see excessive drooling.

Swollen lymph nodes can be due to many causes including infections, autoimmune diseases, fungal and bacterial infections and lymphoma (cancer). You can read about the lymphatic system in the dog here:

An abscessed tooth can sometimes cause lumps or swelling of the muzzle or jaw and upper neck. You will want to check your dog’s mouth and look for any broken or discolored teeth. If you find any, buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5 mg per pound every 12 hours for pain until your dog can be seen by your Vet. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet.

Check just under your dog’s jawbone for a swelling and under your dog’s tongue for a swelling. This is where some of your dog’s salivary glands are located. If you find a swelling here, it’s possible your dog has an accumulation of fluid near the salivary gland called a sialocele which is causing your dog to salivate more. This condition does require your dog to be seen as soon as possible. You can read about it here:

A lump or growth is hard to diagnose even with an office visit, over the internet it is even harder as we can not even see the growth. A lump may indicate cancer, but many such growths are harmless. Many lumps are not painful or bothersome. It may be a fatty tissue deposit called Lipomas or a wart or a hematoma, but to be positive your vet will need to test the lump to be sure.

Any lump found on your animal should be tested to determine if it is a cancerous or benign lump. Your vet will want to perform a fine-needle aspiration or other appropriate test. It is performed quickly and allows some of the cells of the lump to be evaluated by the veterinary pathologist. This test will allow the vet to determine the nature of the lump and take the necessary steps to remove it. Some vets will leave it alone if it is not serious. If it is an abscess, he may just drain it and prescribe antibiotics. Lumps that are solid feeling, feel attached and fast growing should be checked as soon as possible as these are the ones that are more likely to be serious.

Here are a few sites for additional information and pictures to allow you to get an idea based on the physical characteristics..
Picture of Lipoma
Picture of Hemangiosarcoma
Picture of a mast cell tumor (mast tumor site)
Information on Canine Oral Papilloma virus apillomas.html

I hope you find this information helpful.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I was told yesterday by this site it was a cyst and to keep a watch on it but we have also noticed that she has blood on her lip.

I did notice that the other expert suggested that it MIGHT be a cyst and that you could watch it. However, it could be a lot of other things which I thought you should be aware of. The fast growing lumps always seem to be the ones that need to be worried about and you mentioned that this one is very fast growing. For that reason, I suggest you have it looked at instead of waiting. If she has blood on her lip then you need to look in her mouth and see if you can see a problem that might be causing the blood. If it is a tooth issue, it might cause the swelling which is what I mentioned in the above post.

Different experts have different opinions on situations. I prefer to give a client all the possibilities and then let them know what I think they should do. It is ultimately your choice.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you I did take her to the Vet and he did a needle asperation 2 of them and could not tell what kind of infection she had a fever also . He gave anti bioics 2 kinds and another pill for inflamation . Her Head swelled up like she had three heads so we took her last evening. The swell has already went down by almost half. I thank you for your advise it was more informative than my first respose. That one made me think there was nothing to worry about and was totally not the case. Sorry for not excepting your answer sooner. Thank you again Pam & Patches