Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

my dog has a cyst, pustule or an abscess on his leg. It is

my dog has a cyst, pustule or an abscess on his leg. It is about a half and inch. I got advice from a friend that works at a vet's office and she said to pierce it. I pierced it about an eighth of an inch and only blood came out not puss. Do you have any idea what it could be and do you recommend that I have the doctor pierce again or have it removed. I've been told that when you have these things removed they just come back. I also, thought they might give him antibiotic which I heard can cause a lot of other problems.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

If you pierced the lesion and blood came out instead of pus then this is unlikely to be an abscess. If it is not an abscess then what is it going to be? well it could be a small benign growth or even a malignant growth although of course in a dog of one year of age it is highly to be anything sinister.

You have done right to pierce it in case it is a cyst or an abscess but as it is not you should now have a vet check things out. Most likely it is nothing to worry about but you never know, but be aware when most benign lumps are removed they will never come back, the malignant ones are a different story but as I said this would be rare in your dog's age group.

As far as antibiotics go most vets will only use them when they suspect an infection and I can tell you from personal experience over the years that they have very few side effects or adverse effects.

If I have not answered your question fully enough or if you would like to ask more I will be on line for the next hour or so and I will be pleased to discuss your question further.

Scott Nimmo BVMS
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I just switched dog food to kibble and bits natural could it be because of that. So what should I expect at the Vets office. What will the first course of action be? Will they suggest the removal or just wait to see if it goes away. Will they take a biopsy? It's bright pink/light red and when I feel around it and pick it up from underneath it doesn't seem connected by anything just to the skin. That probably doesn't mean anything. Thanks ccc
Hello again,

I would doubt if it is connected with feeding in any way. At the vet's office they will examine it visually and then sit down with you and talk over all the possibilities so the next course of action should be a joint effort be it biopsy or whatever.

This just a stab in the dark, I will make that plain, but young dogs often get a lesion called a histiocytoma. Here is a link to a good web page which shows a picture of one :

Please let me know if this looks like your dog's lump ...

This is a benign skin tumour which occurs in dogs less than two years of age, there will usually only be one. They are fast growing and are said to have the appearance of a pink button. Sometimes they ulcerate and this is good as it is a sign it is about to regress on its own.

Usually these need no treatment as in a month or so they will regress and disappear on their own, if it is causing any problem then they are easily surgically removed.

I have to go out for a few hours now but I will answer any more of your questions when I come back.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That does look a lot like his lump but his is more oval. Since I've been experimenting with coconut oil I've looked at it everyday however my son hasn't looked at in ten days and he thought it was getting bigger. I think it sprouted up pretty fast because he has somewhat short hair like a husky and I think I would have noticed it sooner. My dogs testicles never dropped down and I think they are stuck in his groan area. I've read that they are more likely to get cancer if the testicles are closer to the body. Do you think it might have something to do with that? Since my dog is actually 18 months, and not fixed he is experiencing marking urges. I've been looking for a urine eliminator and am positively over whelmed by the amount of products being sold online for this problem. Could you possibly recommend a product that you are sure works. Thanks you've been very helpful.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I forgot to mention that when I first saw the lump there appeared to be a very little scab right in the middle so I was thinking it might be a tick bite but I didn't see any tick remains and I looked online for tick bites and it didn't look like that.
Hello again,

I am back in my study now and can continue with your answers.

1. Hopefully as you say that your dog's lesion looks like the photo then it may turn out to be a histiocytoma. These are common in young dogs and are nothing to worry about, such lesions could well have a scab in the middle of them.

2. If a dog has undescended testicles then they should be removed as this predisposes them to a cancer of the testicle called a sertoli cell tumour in later life. While this operation is a bit more complex than a normal dog neutering operation most vets will have had lots of experience with it there should be no problem.

3. Actually a biological washing powder such as you might use in your washing machine is good to get rid of the smell of urine. These products have a biological action and can digest organic matter. Just dilute it a bit and check it does not discolour the surface you are going to use it on first.