Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in canine health and behavior. 20 years of experience with dogs

The left side of my dogs face, under his eye is swollen..I

The left side of my dog's face, under his eye is swollen..I suspect his tooth is infected becuase his teeth are bad and his gums have started to bleed..I have a vet appt tomorrow but is there anything I can give him tonight to ease the discomfort? He is 11 years old American Eskimo spitz...Thanks

Hi there,

Aww the poor guy ...........I am so sorry. The only thing he can have is one mg per lb of benedryl, I'm afraid aspirin would increase bleeding.

Please dont worry! It sounds like he has dental issues. His Carnassial molars, specifically:

This accumulation of white blood cells at the site of an infection or necrotic material is referred to as pus or an abscess.
View Full
View Full Image
In the case of a carnassial tooth, the abscess builds up around the affected root just under the skin below and in front of the eye. The swelling may reach the size of a golf ball. In the case of an abscess, the white blood cells and chemicals that are released have the ability to dissolve the body's tissue. The weakest portion of the body in this case is the skin, so a small pore soon opens from which pus (or a pink-tinged fluid) will drain. Left alone, this opening will occasionally close but then reopen later as more material accumulates.

Owners often confuse this condition with an eye infection, insect bite, or puncture wound. They may consider it something that, if left alone, will heal on its own. The untreated abscess will, in fact, often spread to 1) the eye causing a very serious and potentially blinding infection or 2) other teeth causing them to be lost also. This is fairly painful for the animal, especially when eating. In dogs that stay outdoors or those with long hair, it may remain unnoticed for a long period of time.

For today he may have one mg per lb of benedryl. Feed him baby food with no onion powder. See his vet in the am.

Please let me know how he is feeling. I hope he will be fine.

Sincerest best wishes,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I went to the vet today and Terri Riba's was right on the mark...Thank you so much for easing my mind until the vet could see my dog....Zero is going to have his tooth removed in two weeks....The vet prescribed an antibiotic and Benadryl....

Dear friend,

You are very welcome.

It is my pleasure to help someone as lovely as you and your sweet baby.

I will always be here for both of you.

Thank you for your accept.

I hope Zero feels better very soon.

Best wishes,