NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

My mixed-breed 14 yr old dog has a swollen belly (feels hard)

Customer Question

My mixed-breed 14 yr old dog has a swollen belly (feels hard) and now her right legs, front and rear, are also swelling. She puts weight on them but does not walk far. She drinks water, eats treats but not her regular food, does not seem to be in pain. At her age, I am not contemplating any emergency surgery but wonder if there is anything else I can do.
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.

The aspirin may be causing her blood to be thin enough to increase the swelling. You can read about aspirin use in dogs here

It is possible she has a liver or spleen problem causing the abdomen to swell. You can read about spleen issues here

and liver problems here

It might also be her heart is not working as well as it used to meaning that the fluids are not getting to the kidneys the way they should to be excreted from the system.

It could be that a diuretic or a heart med or both would make her feel better.

I think its worth a general check up to see if there is something that can be done or if she has just reached an age where her body is not going to function right anymore.

Hope this helps you!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry, but my dog passed away before I could follow any of your advice. Thanks for your help, though.
Expert:  NancyH replied 7 years ago.

I am so sorry for your loss.

If you have not seen and the rainbow bridge story you may find some comfort there.