LennyDVM
LennyDVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  30 years as owner of a mobile practice treating dogs, cats, horses and other pets.

The dogs eye appears to be covered with a red blood blister

Customer Question

The dog's eye appears to be covered with a red blood blister type growth. It was on the left eye, drops were given without healing, then surgery was done with drops and healing but it went to the right eye. It wasn't cancer from biopsy. Just a sliver of the right pupil is exposed. The red growth has enlarged the eye and the dog sometimes rubs at it. It was recently lanced but has not improved. Please tell us what we can do, we cannot afford another surgery.
Category: Dog
Expert:  LennyDVM replied 5 years ago.

What were the results of the biopsy on the left eye?

What type of surgery was done?

What was the name of the drops prescribed?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I believe the lazer Left eye surgery took place in August, they had abrasioned 3 layers of the cornea and questioned even removing the eye. My son said "no". neo-poly-dex ophthalmic drops were given and it healed. The biobpsy returned as an aggressive growth but not cancer. Then the growth started on the Right eye. The above drops were given without relief. 9-24-2008 a subconjunctional injection was given in the right eye,without any reduction of the growth. No drops have been given since the injection. $1700.00 was paid for the first surgery, plus drops and the $122.60 for the last anestetic, injection and exam. We are hoping for a better solution . Thank you very much for the quick reply. 10-25-08
Expert:  LennyDVM replied 5 years ago.

The primary diseases that affect the cornea are keratitis (inflammation of the cornea) and pannus, an immune mediated chronic keratitis.

Scleritis and granulomatous conjunctivitis can affect the cornea in addition to the sclera and conjunctiva.

These conditions tend to respond to steroids, which you are using. Treatment often must be prolonged. You should continue using the ointment/drops even though it doesn't look like it is helping. It may be slowing it down and it may eventually produce positive results. It sounded like the first round took a while to respond also. There are more potent steroids than dexamethasone, which is the dex in neopolydex. There are also other antiinflammatory drugs that might be useful (NSAIDs) either in the eye or systemically (Rimadyl and a bunch of others available from your vet, aspirin and ketoprophen are OTC). Specific prescription should come from your vet because that is who has worked with and seen you and your dog.

It would be a lot easier to give specific feed back about your pup if you could get a copy of the biopsy report on the findings and specific diagnosis from the biopsy on the other eye. You paid for it and vet records are available to owners. Biopsy samples are usually sent to a pathology lab and read by a veterinary pathologist. This report is sent to the vet.

Can you get a digital photo of the eye and upload it?

I will be signing off shortly, but back online tomorrow.

LennyDVM, Veterinarian
Experience: 30 years as owner of a mobile practice treating dogs, cats, horses and other pets.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I tried to send you a couple pictures of the dogs eye. Hope this works. C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\259.JPGpicture of the

C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\259.JPG I appreciate your help, and think you are probably right. We'll check with vet about meds you mentioned. I think the charge went through now. If we need to do anything else please let us know.
Expert:  LennyDVM replied 5 years ago.

graphicThank Thank you for the accept.

The picture did not come through. I tried to upload one to see if it would work for me. I think it did, but only after 5 tries.

I clicked on the upload file, found the jpg and pressed insert when it said to.

If you have time to try again, I'd like to see the eye. Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The picture you have is not our dog, I will try to send the picture to Just Answer dog.

Expert:  LennyDVM replied 5 years ago.

Sorry for miscommunicating. The picture I uploaded was not yours, but one from my computer. I had never uploaded a photo and was checking to make sure that I could both upload and see photos.

My computer is down because of a corrupt hard drive. Until I get it back at the end of this week, I have only intermittent access to another computer. I will check periodically to see if you were able to upload a photo and if the eye is improving with or without treatment.

This is a continuation of the original question and you do NOT need to pay more.