Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in canine health and behavior. 20 years of experience with dogs

my dog keeps sneezing what could this mean

my dog keeps sneezing what could this mean?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Terri Riba replied 8 years ago.

Dear friend,

I am so sorry your baby is not feeling well.

Dogs get upper respiratory infections, kennel cough and canine influenza Some are so contagious, they can come in on shoes. I will try to cover every possibility.

It can also be kennel cough, a reverse sneeze, an allergy or swallowed non food item.
Excitation does worsen this condition.

Kennel cough will usually resolve on it's own in about three weeks. Sometimes vets do script antibiotics to prevent secondary infections. Doxycyline is the most common one used.

You can also use robitussin to give her relief.

Here is info on Kennel cough:

Her throat my be scratchy I would pick up any dog food.Try a small amount of boiled chicken with all fat drained off, cottage cheese, baby food with no onion, beef, turkey, etc

Add unflavored pedialyte to her water 50/50 to hydrate her and balance her electrolytes.

Put a drop of pancake syrup on his tongue to raise her blood sugar in case she is a bit hypoglycemic. Do not allow her to drink a lot at a time If she throws up water, she can lick ice

She may have any human OTC at scroll down for products and dosages.

Keep him on that very light diet of boiled chicken or cottage cheese for 48 hours. Also give himone teaspoon a day of plain yogurt to keep "good" bacteria in her system.

He should see the vet if she gets worse or developes any breathing difficulties.

I hope I have covered every possibility. Please let know if you still have questions and how your baby is doing, I will always be here for both of you.

I hope he feels better very soon.

Very sincerely,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Terri this hasn't helped me much I need to know if the sneezing is serious or will go away in a few days. He isn't doing it all the time and is still eatng and drinking like normal it sounds like he's got hay fever or something in his nose. Should I take him to the vet?

Hi there,

He either has an upper respiratory infection, reverse sneeze or canine flu.Since hes a small dog, I would have him seen,if he were my baby.

Please let me know how he is doing.I hope he feels better very soon.

Sincerest best wishes,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

can you please clarify what reverse sneeze is. It is very late at night my time so cannot get him to a vet. Could this be a life threating thing?

Hi there,

No it is not life threatening at all.A reverse sneeze sounds like the dog is honking.

Here is a video:

Your baby should be fine til the vet opens.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Terri - Sorry to be a pain but my Razzy is not as bad as the video of Sparky although he looks exactly the same as my baby. He has more like a human sniffe / hay fever. When he is asleep it doesn't bother him and also is not happening all the time. If I wait a couple of days before I take him to the vet to see if it goes away by itself would that be safe?

Oh you are not a "pain" in the least!! I know Razzy is your baby.

A reverse sneeze is not serious and often resolves on its own.

So as long as your baby is eating it will be safe to wait.

Good luck with him,