Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
Experience:  19+ years experience in small animal medicine

My dog has a distended stomach but it is very hard on one side

Customer Question

My dog has a distended stomach but it is very hard on one side and the other side is not and I took her to the vet and they said she had some thyroid issue and that her left side of her stomach was not hard because of fluid but because of something else. They also said that there were medications but that they did not do much anyway. Right now she is very tired and she limps around like one of her legs hurt and she vomitted recently. I don't know whether I should take her back to the vet or not. And I don't know if she has a bloated stomach because she only seems bloated on one side, also she has hard cist clusters near her nipples, she is about 12 years old.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Theresa replied 7 years ago.
A thyroid condition isn't really going to cause a bloated or enlarged abdomen. It may cause fatty tumors which could be under the muscle and appear bloated or hardened or uneven on both sides but your vet would have told you this. I would suggest xrays and bloodwork. The xrays are to help rule out a mass in the abdomen and the bloodwork to evaluate the liver and kidney function as well as testing for hypothyroidism so that she can be started on medications if this existed.

You are potentially looking at a mass on the kidney, enlarged liver or mass on the liver or spleen. Fluid in the abdomen as a result of a heart or liver condition or Cushing's disease though this is usually pretty even on both sides. An xray can help but an ultrasound would be ideal. Definitely at the very least have an abdominal xray performed and bloodwork and then proceed from there as needed.

From what you are saying she does sound pretty uncomfortable we might as well have her checked out more thoroughly and if your vet is not willing to persue this then it would be time to seek out a second physical opinion.

Please let me know if further assistance is needed.