Welcome to Just Answer! I would like to help you and your dog with this question but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.
How long ago did this happen?
How much does the dog weigh?
Was it a 200mg tablet?
He weighs about 20 lbs. It happened about 15 hours ago.
yes it was a 200mg tablet.
Is your dog on any other medications?
Does he have any history of kidney problems, or stomach problems?
With the vomitus, do you see any pink tinge to it, or anything that looks like coffee grounds?
Is he able to keep down water?
How are his energy levels?
he hasn't drank much water and he has been laying alot
You have described to me a 3yr old ShihTzu who weighs 20lbs and ate 200mg of ibuprofen 15 hours ago. This works out to a dose of 22mg/kg.
Unfortunately, ibuprofen is toxic to dogs at even fairly low doses. It can cause gastric ulcers and at higher doses kidney failure. There is no safe dose so this drug is not used in veterinary medicine.
At the dose your dog ingested, the problems expected would be gastrointestinal - vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, loss of appetite, possibly stomach ulcers and abdominal pain.
Here is more on ibuprofen toxicity:
Given that your dog has been vomiting all day, I am concerned that he may be getting dehydrated. It would be best if he were to see a veterinarian for treatment.
Your boy could have a stomach ulcer from eating the Advil. Treatment for a stomach ulcer involves giving 3 drugs:
Here is more about Tagamet:
More about Pepcid:
And more about Zantac:
If you took your dog to see a veterinarian, they would likely give your dog fluids to rehydrate him, they would give him an injection to stop him from vomiting, and would give him the above 3 drugs if indicated.
I would strongly recommend seeing a vet!
If you absolutely cannot see a vet, then at home you could give him a dose of Zantac (dose in link above) and SMALL, frequent amounts of clear fluids. So, water is fine, but also he can have pedialyte, Gatorade, apple juice diluted 50:50 with water, or chicken or beef broth diluted 50:50 with water. Give the fluids in small amounts frequently. For a dog this size that means about 1 tablespoon every 15 minutes.
Please know that I don't recommend this, but would much prefer you took your dog to a vet!
After 12-24 hours if the vomiting has stopped, you can start your dog back on a bland diet. For patients that I see, I recommend a mixture of 75% cooked white rice, and 25% low fat protein. For the protein you could use extra lean ground beef, boiled with the fat scooped off, or chicken breast boiled with fat scooped off or even scrambled egg cooked without fat in the microwave. Feed small frequent meals. For a dog this size, I would suggest 2-3 tablespoons every 3 to 4 hours.
After 1-2 days on the rice mix, you would gradually change your dog back to the normal diet and food. So, on day 3, give the rice mixture, but bigger meals, spaced further apart. On day 4, mix a little tiny bit of the normal food in there, and decrease the frequency so it is down to 3 meals or so. And so on.
Keep your dog as quiet as possible - just out to relieve himself and back in
If he starts vomiting anything that is tinged with pink or looks like coffee grounds, that indicates that he is bleeding into his stomach, and then it is an emergency that he sees his vet.
If this has been helpful, please accept my answer and leave feedback. I will still be here to provide more information if you need it.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
Best wishes, Fiona