Anna, Dog Expert, Biologist
Experience:  35 years training & showing dogs. Written articles for Dog Fancy, Dogs, Dog World.

My boxers lymphnodes are swollen to a point that they are

My boxer's lymphnodes are swollen to a point that they are visible when he looks up. I had noticed this a week ago accompanied with excessive saliva (drooling). In the last 24 hours he has become very sluggish and has been trying to eat grass which is usually an indication of upset stomach from past experiences. This morning he vomited and would not eat until after lunch. The gland swelling has gone down slightly however he is still obviously not feeling well.
Submitted: 8 years ago via PetPlace.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Anna replied 8 years ago.

I'm glad to hear you've discontinued the ibuprofen - it's toxic to dogs and should never be given. Vomiting and loss of appetite are among the symptoms of toxicity. You can read more about ibuprofen toxicity and its treatment here:

You're right to be very concerned about the swollen lymph nodes. There are two common causes of swollen lymph glands in dogs. One is infection. Usually the lymph glands closest to the site of infection will swell. With swelling of the glands in the neck, infection is likely to be present in the throat or in an abscessed tooth. If you have a rectal thermometer, you can check your dog's temperature. Normal temperature range in degrees fahrenheit is 100.5 to 102.5. If your dog has a fever, infection is likely. Lymphoma is the other common cause of swollen glands. It is a form of cancer. Lethargy and loss of appetite often accompany it. You can read more about swollen glands at this site:

You will need veterinary treatment regardless of whether your dog has an infection or lymphoma. I recommend that you see your vet as soon as you can.

If you have further questions about this, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your dog has a simple infection that can be easily treated.