Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM VMRCVM '89, 20 yrs experience in progressive small animal medicine and surgery
9480295

My dogs head on her one side has dipped or sunken in along

My dog's head on her one side has dipped or sunken in along with her eye. Her whole right side of her face and been droopy. I don't no what to do. She is having a hard time catching her breathe and every time she eats its almost like she has a hard time catching her breathe when she is done. The vets seem to thin that she is expereince a tumor between her ears or in her brain. I am wondering what to do. I can't her. She is a an eye medication and prednizone. Please help me.
It does sound like the problem is involving the nerves going to one side of her head. In an older dog, cancer does have to be considered. There are ways to evaluate this possibility using a CT scan or MRI. There may be a veterinary neurologist in your area that could do these advanced tests. There is significant cost associated with seeing a specialist, but it may be the best way to get an answer. There is a possibility of surgery or chemotherapy but from the symptoms you descibe it sounds like it may be already quite advanced. Your veterinarian is doing the right thing with prednisone, I don't know how long you have been giving it but steroids are the drug of choice for many neurological problems. Good luck with a tough situation.