Dr.B, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Diplomate ACVIM (SAIM) - Internal Medicine Specialist

My two week old toy poodle has a heart murmur, and it has

Customer Question

My two week old toy poodle has a heart murmur, and it has been two days since she last fed from her mama. Hope is my puppy name and she was the last born of six pups , which are much larger then her. Please tell me what we can do for this tiny angel.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr.B replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your post. I am sorry to hear that little Hope is having difficulties.

It is not necessisarily terrible for a 2 day old puppy to have a heart murmur. It is possible that the ductus arteriossus (a vessel that connects the pulmonary artery to the aorta in the fetus) hasn't closed all the way. IN some puppies it takes time.

However, I can't tell you it is not a significant problem either. Time will tell. If it is a very loud washing machine murmur, she may need surgery or a coiling procedure in the future to close the abbherent vessel.

the most important thing at this time is to keep Hope warm and keep her eating. This may mean that you have to tube feed her every few hours.

Here is a link for more information about raising orphan puppies. Although you may be bottle feeding her and tube feeding her, I would recommend encouraging interaction with the other puppies and the mother as she gets better and stronger.

Again, at this time, I would recommend to focus on keeping Hope warm and well fed, so she has every chance to grow and be healthy, especially if the heart murmur remains persistent and loud.

Then, she should be evaluated by a veterinary cardiologist to diagnose her underlying disease and potential therapies. Please let me know if I can help you find a cardiologist in your area.

Best of luck and my thoughts are with you and Hope. Please let me know how I can help.
Please press Accept if you find my answer helpful. Want more info? Just reply on your question!
Bonuses for good work are always appreciated!
Thanks for the opportunity to help you!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Dr.JAB, thank you for helping us with Hope. She continues to cry, and we wonder if it is because she either in pain or just needs to be fed. What do you think it might be?