Anna, Dog Expert, Biologist
Experience:  35 years training & showing dogs. Written articles for Dog Fancy, Dogs, Dog World.

Is castor oil harmful to dogs Does it induce vomiting

Is castor oil harmful to dogs? Does it induce vomiting?

Castor oil doesn't induce vomiting. It may cause diarrhea. It can be harmful if consumed in large enough amounts. I wouldn't give it to a dog. If your dog only received one dose of hydrogen peroxide, you can repeat that. Give 1 teaspoon for every 10 lbs of the dog's body weight. If you give him something to eat just before the peroxide, that may help to make him vomit. Getting him to move around after the peroxide is given may also help. If your dog ate something toxic and peroxide doesn't make him vomit, you should take him to your vet for appropriate treatment. If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your dog will be fine.    

Anna, Dog Expert, Biologist
Experience: 35 years training & showing dogs. Written articles for Dog Fancy, Dogs, Dog World.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
hi my dog ate the bottom padding of the sofa, can that peroxide induce that to come out or will he have to go to surgery?
Anna is offline at the moment, but I am sure when she comes back she would like to know how long ago your dog at the bottom padding of the sofa?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i think it was about four days ago we noticed something was wrong when he wouldnt eat

Ah... so he has not eaten in 4 days?

Is he vomiting?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
he vomitted some brown liquid stuff today. the days before he looked like he was trying to vomit but nothing would come out
Thank you Dr. Fiona for helping out. Inducing vomiting at this point will do nothing to help your dog, and may make the situation worse. Your dog may well have an intestinal blockage, and that can be fatal. He needs to be seen by your vet this afternoon. The vet can take x-rays to determine exactly where the problem is occurring. Surgery may well be the only way to save your dog's life. Please don't give him anything else to eat or drink, and see your vet right away. Attempting to vomit or defecate, and appetite loss are signs of intestinal blockage. Putting more into the stomach will only make things worse. Again, if you have more questions, let us know.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
we did take him to the vet but they sent him home because we couldnt afford to pay the bill, the situation is very hard right now. we were just trying to see if there was anything else we can do. do you have any information, if there is any, of where i can take him where it might be cheaper or mabey they will be able to work with my situation i dont know im just taking a chance here. i live in n.y
If you'll be patient, I'll see if I can find an organization that can help you. I'll post again in a few minutes.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thank you so much
If you live in Monroe, Livingston, Genesee, Wyoming, Erie, Niagara or Orleans county, the following organization helps with emergency visits for low-income people. You can visit the web site for more information.

If you happen to be in New York City, this one helps with emergencies:

The following organizations are nationwide. Many offer to actually pay vet bills for qualifying people, while others have low-interest loans. This first one is offered through vets who are members of the American Animal Hospital Association. The vet has to apply for you, so you'd have to contact a vet who is a member. It often tells in their Yellow Pages ad if they are.

American Animal Hospital Association

This one offers low interest loans:

Care Credit

The following are some more that you can get more information from their sites if none of the above work out for you:

Angels 4 Animals

God's Creatures Ministry

The Pet Fund

United Animal Nations

Here is a list of ideas for people who can't afford vet care:

I hope you're able to find a group that can help you. If you can't, contact your local animal shelter and explain the situation. They may know of someone who will assist you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok thank you so much for your time
You're welcome and good luck.