Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

One of my two dogs are peeing in the house and I cant figure

One of my two dogs are peeing in the house and I cant figure out which one it is. When I find it and ask who did this they both run and hide. One even peed where they eat. This has been going on for about six months. How can I figure out who it is? How can I stop it?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 years ago.

HI gina,

What breed of dogs are they?

Are they male or female? Are they fixed?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
They are XXXXX XXXXX Terriers and they are male and both are fixed.
I installed a dog door and only one goes in and out of it, the other one is too afraid to use it. I think it is really strange that they pee on their dog dishes. I bought that natures miracle product and that does not work. I just dont understand why this started for no reason. I wish I can figure out who is doing it.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My oldest dog Harley is 5 years old and my youngest dog bandit is going to be two on 1/31 if that helps
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 years ago.

I would suspect the one who will not go out the doggie door.Something may have frightened him so that he finds it safer to stay inside. What you can do is buy crates and crate them when you are not home and this will give you a clue as both are old enough to hold it for at least five hours.

Two male dogs will also mark territory so if there has been any change in the home, new animal, baby, company etc. then that can cause a marking war. Normally they don't like to mark where they eat and sleep so something is going on between them.

I would only allow them to eat when you are with them and pick any remainder up right away as soon as they walk away from the dish.

I would also wonder if there isn't a health problem such as a urinary tract infection as this will have a dog go in inappropriate places. A simple urine test will show this.

I would definitely work on the one who is afraid to use the door and I would not let either have full run of the home without you being there to watch them . For now, gate off a room that is easily cleanable. You may want to gate off two separate rooms so you can see who is doing this.

For urine odor use a mixture of white vinegar and water. IF it is an area where bleach won't harm anything such a tile, use that in the mix as well.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
<p>When we feed them they eat their food right away and they are peeing in or around the empty dish. I had both dogs to the vet because I thought it was a UTI but the tests were negative. I keep them gated when we go out so I guess I will have to gate them when we are home too. When we figure out which one it is what do we do to break the habit. That is the main question I have.</p><p>Gina</p>
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 years ago.

Well, if it is due to marking, which is suspected, the only thing you can do is not to allow them to have run of the home. Dogs marking is an instinct and any type of punishment does not work with that. I have one that marks so he is kept on a six foot tether when he can not be watched. This has solved the problem. You may also want to sprinkle down some kibble or treats in the areas that have been marked so they learn it is an eating place not a peeing place. Belly bands also help. Retraining them that you are the leader of the pack can also help so there is no competition.

I'll direct you sites on marking which may help you further.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/when-your-dog-s-urine-marking-is-a-problem/page1.aspx

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pets_urinemarking