LennyDVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  30 years as owner of a mobile practice treating dogs, cats, horses and other pets.

pug: My little..has had two seizures in the last two weeks

My little pug has had two seizures in the last two weeks. This is new for him.

Seizures are common in dogs. Idiopathic epilepsy usually is first diagnosed between 4-8 years of age. This would be the most common cause of seizures in your 6 year old.

A diagnostic work up on a dog that has started seizing include a complete blood count, blood chemistry scan, urinalysis and fecal analysis. This rules out other common causes of seizures.

Treatment for seizures depends on how often they occur and how bad they are. If they are infrequent (1-2 a month), last only a few minutes and occur singly (not several at a time or in a day), they are often not treated. If they occur more often or are more severe, they are treated. The drugs most often used are valium, potassium bromide and phenobarbital.

Owners should keep a record including date/time, length of the seizure and any other observations that they think might be important.

You do not need to use cold to shock him. It will not shorten the seizure. Benadryl is not effective either and as you noticed, he can not swallow during a seizure.

Let me know if you have followup questions. I'll be online for a short time longer tonight and back on tomorrow.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thank you very much.

How do I administer meds while he is seizing?

I appreciate your time and your expertise.

Valium is the only med that is useful during a seizure. The injectable form is administered intrarectally using a syringe without a needle. Absorption is faster intrarectally than by injection.

Potassium bromide and phenobarbital are administered orally every day once started.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Oh, that's a separate question.....Ido I owe you a second payment?

Thank you again for your time and your wisdom.

No, you do not owe me a second payment.

Thank you for your first accept. <smile>

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Okay..I'm done. I greatly appreciate your help.

Nina Goodrich