LennyDVM
LennyDVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  30 years as owner of a mobile practice treating dogs, cats, horses and other pets.

12 lb terrier mix dx hot spots. treated w/ Genesis. 2x2 heavy

Customer Question

12 lb terrier mix dx hot spots. treated w/ Genesis. 2x2 heavy scab. Drinks a little, has not eaten for 3 days. Mostly asleep totally lethargic when waked. I am very afraid for her near non-responsiveness. I have no vet in 50 miles and no way of getting to one. What should I do. It seems terribly serious to me, is it. 8 year old dog, otherwise healthy.
Category: Dog
Expert:  LennyDVM replied 5 years ago.

I'm guessing that the Genesis you used is a topical spray by Virbac containing 0.015% triamcinolone acetonide. If this is not correct, please tell me what it is. I'm assuming it is not the laser treatment called Genesis.

I would be very concerned about a dog that had not eaten for 3 days, is not drinking and is non-responsive. These are not signs associated with hot spots (pyotraumatic dermatitis). It sounds more like a systemic infection or other problem.

Can you get a temperature? A human thermometer lubricated with vaseline , K-Y jelly or water is OK. Gently insert it 2-3 inches into the rectum and leave it for one minute. Normal temperature for dogs is 101 - 102.5 F. 103 is a low grade fever. 104-106 is a common fever range in dogs. Less than 100 is hypothermic If she is hypothermic, get her warm with blankets. Hot water bottles (gallon jugs filled with hot water) help. Heating pads tend to get too hot and burn.

Look at her gums (mucous membranes). They should be pink, not white, gray or deep red. Check her capillary refill time by pressing a finger over her gums behind her upper canine tooth. It should be pale when you remove your finger and return to pink within 2 seconds. 3 seconds or longer indicates dehydration.

Try to get her to eat and drink. Offer anything good (chicken, tuna, cat food, water, soup).

Do you have any antibiotic ointment (Neosporin, triple antibiotic, etc.)? If so use it on the hot spot.Stop the Genesis.

Do you have any antibiotics for dogs?

Could she have gotten into anything toxic?

Let me know if you have follow up questions.

LennyDVM, Veterinarian
Experience: 30 years as owner of a mobile practice treating dogs, cats, horses and other pets.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The Genesis is what you said, I also have that in cream variety.

I have Bacitracin Zinc ointment old from hospital, and Topicort desoximetasone. should I use one of those. Can't believe I have no neosporin!! Might be able to get.

I don't have any antibiotics. I have melioxicam .5 mg oral antiinflammatory, baby aspirin,

Her gums are quite red...show no change when I press.

I am afraid to take her temp but will if you say so.

I have tried every treat...hasn't taken any for 3 days. Has been drinking, seems to be getting less, not sure.

Expert:  LennyDVM replied 5 years ago.

Unless she is scratching the hot spot, avoiding steroids might be a good idea. The bacitracin ointment is fine as a topical antibiotic.

The red gum color should blanch when pressed. If you don't see a change, it is probably returning to red in less than 2 seconds.

The signs you give don't indicate pain as the primary problem. I'd avoid meloxicam to start. A baby aspirin might help if she has a fever. It can be given every 12 hours for a day for starters to see if it helps.

A temperature would indicate if she had a fever (infection) or is hypothermic (possibly cause other than hotspot). It is a useful piece of information and it should be safe for her so long as she doesn't get too upset with the procedure. If she does, skip it.

Have you tried force feeding and pushing water? A gruel can be squired into her mouth using a syringe or eye dropper. Soft food can be put at the back of her mouth or down her throat like a pill so long as she doesn't bite.

Is she urinating? Does it seem like a normal amount and color if you can see the color?

If she isn't urinating enough, try to push water using a syringe, dropper, squirt bottle (gently).