LennyDVM
LennyDVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  30 years as owner of a mobile practice treating dogs, cats, horses and other pets.

husky: 12 year old..with arthritis..Noticed today not feeling well.

Customer Question

My dog is a 65lb 12 year old husky with arthritis. She also had a right anterior cruciate ligament repaired. Noticed today not feeling well. Had been on Provacox and been two days to switch back to metacam. She is having trouble standing up on back legs especially right side and noted attempting to walk on top part of right paw instead of pads of foot. frustrated here.
Category: Dog
Expert:  LennyDVM replied 5 years ago.

Why are you switching back to meloxicam? Was the Previcox not working? There are quite a few new non-steroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) available for dogs. Some work better than others in individual dogs. All are reasonably safe.

If your dog got more exercise in the last day or two, she might have more pain than previously. Another cause of increased pain would be slipping on floors (wood and tile floors can be very slippery) or jumping off something and landing poorly. These might respond to a day or so of rest.

Walking on the top of the paw can be a response to pain. I'm assuming that the cruciate repair was not done recently considering her age. Correct me if I am wrong. She may not have time to place her foot correctly before weighting it. Alternatively, it can indicate neurologic damage.

Pain meds, a soft warm sleeping area and assistance getting out to bathroom areas should help her through the weekend. A towel under her belly can give assistance if she is having trouble getting in and out. Stairs should be avoided if at all possible.

If she has not improved by the beginning of the work week, a visit to the vet is indicated.

Let me know if you have follow up questions.

LennyDVM, Veterinarian
Experience: 30 years as owner of a mobile practice treating dogs, cats, horses and other pets.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No the previcox was when I could get her to take it. That was the problem it was not easy to admister it to her. One more thing she is also in kiddney failure and takes ranatidine 20mg daily.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
and yes her cruciate repair was about a year ago
Expert:  LennyDVM replied 5 years ago.

I'm guessing that you have tried putting the pills in good tasting food (liverwurst, chicken, etc.) and she still won't eat them.

The kidney failure may be compounding the problem. It makes them feel lousy and have a poor appetite. Low protein diets (Hill's K/D, spaghetti and butter or tomato sauce, etc.) reduce the protein metabolic byproducts that decrease appetite, antiulcer meds (ranitidine) and fluid therapy can prolong decent quality life.

At some point the geriatric problems increase and build on each other affecting the quality of life.